Here’s some fantastic advice from our vet Mark Nelson, on how best to care for your pets during Firework season
Does your dog or cat have a fear of fireworks? If so there are things you can do to help:
* Provide them with a den so they have somewhere safe to hide.
* Keep windows and curtains closed.
* Keep lights on and the television or radio on.
* Treat your pet as normal – if they are scared and you fuss them, they will think it is ok to be scared.
* Don’t take dogs for walks or let cats outside after dark.
* Sometimes providing a distraction such as a new toy or chew (under supervision) can help.
* Make sure microchip details are up to date in case they run away.
* Anti-anxiety supplements can help. Ideally given 2 weeks before the event, but even a few days before can help:
Dogs – YuCALM
Cats – Zylkene
Remember – fireworks are often around from the middle of October to the middle of January so ask us for advice or information about YuCALM or Zylkene sooner rather than later!
Please contact your local veterinary surgeon for more advice regarding any of these treatments.